Friday, August 20, 2010

THIS WEEKEND: "Jean-Michel Basquiat: The Radiant Child" By Tamra Davis

Hi Everyone,

This one is really exciting! So, tonight we're headed down to the Landmark Nuart Theater in Santa Monica to see the new feature doc "Jean-Michel Basquiat: The Radiant Child". Directed by none other than Tamra Davis; the mastermind behind such classics as "Billy Madison", "CB4", Britney Spears' film "Crossroads", and the "Mmmm Bop" video.

You might be wondering what such a light hearted filmmaker could say about one of our generation's most important and prolific artists. But don't worry, she's legit, a true artist herself. (We all saw "Billy Madison", it could only come from an artist's heart.)  It seems that Ms. Davis was a good friend of Jean-Michel, and has been holding on to over a half hour of interview footage she took of him in the mid 80's.  After more than 25 years of sitting on this material, Tamra has made a documentary about his life and work.

I am a Basquiat fan to the core, and I was enthralled with "Downtown 81" when I saw it in the early 90's. Discovering his unique look was a huge stepping stone in my own creative endeavours, and I'm thrilled that someone has made a real documentary about him. I also love Julian Schnabel's film "Basquiat" released in 1996, however it reads more of an interpretation of Jean-Michel than a true depiction of his character.

I'm stoked to see this film, and I love Tamra's work, eclectic though it may be. I mean, she's married to a Beastie Boy for crying out loud. Street cred.



Here's a great interview with Tamra about the film from the A.V. Club.

"Jean-Michel Basquiat: The Radiant Child" playing in limited release all this weekend at the Nuart in Santa Monica, and from what I understand, Tamara will be there doing Q&ampA's after several of the showings.

Here's the Info:
Showtimes:
Friday, August 20 - 7:30pm
Saturday August 21 - 7:30pm
Sunday, August 21 - 2:50pm

Location:
Landmark Nuart Theatre
11272 Santa Monica Blvd
310.281.8223

I'm definitely going tonight, so look out for a review tomorrow. I  have high hopes for this, and I'm very excited!


Xo
LAF

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © LA Femmedia. Template created by Volverene from Templates Block
WP by WP Themes Master | Price of Silver